Re: [O] OT: TUI applications

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] OT: TUI applications
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:05:47 +1100

There is actually lots of these frameworks and libraries in many
different languages, so it really depends on what you are most
comfortable working in. I have used both Emacs forms and widgets in the
past. For example, I've used forms as an intermediate step between emacs
and a backend store where I have 'batch' commands which retrieve the
data into a file which forms use as input and then after editing the
data using Emacs forms, write the data back to the backend store (making
the forms a sort of 'batch' processor).

For shell scripts, whiptail, zenity and dialog usually work and if I
need something a little more, I've used Tcl/Tk or perl/Tk.

However, I am now trying to reduce my level of context switching between
different languages. As I'm doing more and more in the web environment,
I'm now playing with electron (atom shell), which allows me to easily do
a desktop app just using html, CSS and javascript (actually, my
intention is to use Clojurescript).

I've actually found that even with basic TUI libraries, there is still
too much low level stuff I don't want to worry about. Being able to use
a JS library I'm familiar with and avoid all the web server, browser
differences etc is much faster and simpler, plus the more I use it, the
easier it gets as I build up my own modules etc.

Tim

--
Tim Cross