Re: [O] Bug: linum-mode + org-indent-mode cursor movement problems [8.2.

From: Tom Schutter
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: linum-mode + org-indent-mode cursor movement problems [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:18:48 -0700

But how long will we wait for Emacs 26?

On 11/17/2017 03:30 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Hello,

Tom Schutter <address@hidden> writes:

If both linum-mode (or nlinum-mode) and org-indent-mode are enabled,
then moving the cursor to the previous line using <up> causes it to
jump horizontally to the right.  The jump matches the current
indentation.  I would expect the cursor to remain in the same column.

Load linum.org (contents below) with minimal config.  linum.org will
enable linum-mode and org-indent-mode:

   emacs -Q linum.org

Place your cursor on the "2" in the fourth line and press <up>.  The
cursor will jump two columns to the right to the "4" in the third
line. Press <up> again and the cursor will move to the "4" in the
second line. Press <up> again and the cursor will jump back to the "e"
in the first line.

What is interesting is that you get different behavior when using
<down>.  The cursor remains in the same column as you move down each
line.  So starting on the "e" in the first line, pressing <down> moves
the cursor to the "2" on the second line.

If you insert a second level heading in between the first and the
second line, then the jumps will be four columns instead of two.

I discovered this problem first in nlimum-mode, but it is easier to
reproduce using linum-mode when starting Emacs with -Q.

Contents of linum.org:

   * heading
   1234 line 2
   1234 line 3
   1234 line 4
   # Local Variables:
   # eval: (org-indent-mode 1)
   # eval: (linum-mode 1)
   # End:

I don't think it's worth fixing: linum.el and nlinum.el are on their way
out since Emacs 26 will ship with the same feature, implemented at the
C level.

It would be nice to know, however, if there is the same problem with
that new implementation.