Re: [O] Canonical way to strip off all markup from an element in Org exp

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Canonical way to strip off all markup from an element in Org exporter backend?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:22:18 +0100

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you! That function is educational. I'll play more with that idea. It
> will be a lot more verbose than the 3 line solution I have right now..

    (let ((no-thrill (lambda (o c _) (or c (org-element-property :value o)))))
      (org-export-create-backend
       :parent 'ascii           ;or `hugo', depending on what you mean
       :transcoders (mapcar (lambda (type) (cons type no-thrill))
                            '(bold code italic strike-through underline
verbatim))))

Five locs. Not bad either.

> It can be used wherever just the element content is needed without
> formatting properties, like in my case where the element title is needed to
> be extracted without any formatting.

So far, no major back-end needs this. Also, it is very simple to provide
the back-end above.

> I haven't yet invested any time into serious development of this "base
> class" backend. The idea of this exporter is to give formatting-free output
> (like when you select plain text option in an email client).. so at whim,
> entities will be translated to the correct unicode chars, footnotes
> behavior could be the same as ox-ascii, and latex-snippets can stay in the
> raw ascii form.

You're basically describing `ox-ascii' with stripped emphasis markers.
At this point, I'm not convinced we need this in Org proper.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738