Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 11:06:48 +0100

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

> Is the current contrib/orgmanual.org in sync with doc/org.texi in both
> master and maint?

Not at all. It is in sync (and a bit above) in master only.

> How difficult is it to keep it in sync in both branches?

"manual.org" relies on improvements made to the Texinfo exporter in
master branch only, and probably to some smaller parts of the export
framework. I wouldn't try to sync the manual in maint branch.

> Would it be okay to hold on for one week before we make the switch,
> just to collect more feedback on this?

For the record, and as a first feedback, I totally disagree with the FUD
(".org flexibility will bring us new problems", seriously) spread about
the Org manual. I spent months on the Org file. If it was a pain to do
so ("Let's test org capabilities against a giant .org file."), I think
I would have noticed. The difficult part was to define editing
conventions and stick to them. This is now done, and unrelated to the
problem at hand.

I find it much easier to handle and edit than its Texinfo counterpart,
even though I have a good command of the Texinfo syntax. This allowed me
to do a large number of improvements to it (structure, index,
typography, overall consistency...), still not integrated in our
official manual.

I would be surprised, to say the least, if anyone browsing in parallel
"org.texi" and "manual.org" told me in good faith the former is clearer.

That being said, we can hold as many number of weeks as you see fit.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738