Re: [O] [BUG] Org manual without correct org-version

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] Org manual without correct org-version
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 21:47:54 +0800

Hello,
** Nicolas Goaziou [2018-04-13 19:37:09 +0200]:

> Hello,
>
> Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm using org-mode from git and found that now it is not show the
>> 'git' version but simply 9.1 in Info file. In doc/ there is
>> 'org-version.inc', it is included into 'orgguide.texi' but not in
>> 'org.texi'.
>>
>> As I understand the 'org.texi' is generated from 'org-manual.org', so
>> 'org-manual.org' should either somehow includes that file or provide
>> other way to get version information.
>
> Why should it include the exact commit? Manual is for users. I'm not
> sure this has any value.

Earlier there was "full" "git" version in Manual and I found it convenient
(I read the manual from time to time to find how to do something in org)
but now when I open Info with Org manual I'm a bit puzzled, it shows
version 9.1 while Org from Emacs (I use Emacs from git) shows version
9.1.9 and that confuses me completely, which version is "fresh"?

> Actually, "org-manual.org" strips, on purpose, the bugfix number and the
> commit release.

I understand that, but on the other hand, when I/someone uses Org from
git explicitly it would worth to show the "actual" version in Org Manual
(as seen by Info). WDYT?

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing,
after all, as "wanting."  It is not logical, but it is often true.