Re: [O] Localized org-mode

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Localized org-mode
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 20:21:42 +0200

ST <address@hidden> writes:

> Why? Run "detranslator" before you start parsing. I.e. based on your
> 1-to-1 vocabulary "detranslator" will substitute all :EIGENSCHAFTEN: and
> all other org syntax back to English :PROPERTIES: etc.. Then apply
> parser as usual.

You cannot blindly replace all ":EIGENSCHAFTEN:" with ":PROPERTIES:"
because some of them could be real ":EIGENSCHAFTEN:", which is valid
syntax. IOW, you need to parse the buffer to know what ":EIGENSCHAFTEN:"
ought to be replaced, so you're running in circles.

> Writing is only a half of the problem. Imagine Cyrillic or Chinese text
> mixed with Latin letters. Org is not html (that hides its syntax once
> rendered) and it is supposed to be smoothly readable in raw plain texta
> form. Even worth - imagine right-to-left texts like Hebrew or Persian
> mixed up with left-to-right Latin letters. It's not aesthetical.

If that's an aesthetic issue, we could fix it on the aesthetic side.

For example, you can localize timestamps with `org-display-custom-times'
and `org-time-stamp-custom-formats'. It could be possible to do
something similar, i.e., to use overlays, e.g., on top of properties
drawers. Of course, this wouldn't change the underlying appearance, but
the solution is much less invasive than what you suggest.

Do you want to propose a patch?