[O] Spurious "Non-existent agenda file" message?

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: [O] Spurious "Non-existent agenda file" message?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 09:38:20 +0200

Hi,

Suddenly, maybe after an update to Org 9.1.13, I get the error

  Non-existent agenda file refile.org.  [R]emove from list or [A]bort?

when generating the agenda.  However, the file exists (and has done for
years).  If I press 'R', the agenda is built, but the offending file is
not removed and entries from the file are included in the agenda.

The entry is the 3rd of 3 files.  I added a 4th to check whether it is
an off-by-one error, but still only the 3rd entries is considered
non-existent.

If I add a file to 'org-agenda-files' which really is missing, I get the
error, but when I press 'R' the entry really is removed from the list.
Even if I remove 'refile.org' from the list, I still get the error that
'refile.org' is missing.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Baffled,

Loris