Re: [O] Suspected bug with LaTeX export: the pdf does not open

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Suspected bug with LaTeX export: the pdf does not open
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:59:07 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Nick Dokos writes on Mon 20 Aug 2018 11:50:
>
>  > [...] you have security problems: the current Fedora is 28, Fedora
>  > 26 is either end-of-life already or about to be shortly, and Fedora
>  > 23 is obsolete and possibly dangerous. Please consider upgrading.
>
> Thanks.  Yes, 23 is obsolete.  But what do you mean "possibly
> dangerous"?  What are the risks?

I'm pretty sure you have not had security updates for it for a while: see

   https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-23-end-of-life/

so you are running with unpatched bugs since Dec. 2016. Some of these
bugs *might* be remotely exploitable. I would not use such a machine
to e.g. check my bank account from a public place - *I* would not use it
from a private place over WiFi either - maybe over hardwired ethernet
but that would depend on other factors; but different people
tolerate the possibility of such problems differently: you will have
to decide what to do in your case. I hope this information can help
you make an informed decision.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler