Re: [O] Refiling Completion Systems

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Refiling Completion Systems
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 15:34:17 -0700

the built-in ido completion is likely mostly redundant and that is i
think mostly why it was removed.  [ooh, disclaimers.]

to get your ido back, you can install ido-hacks, which will

  1] make ido work in all sorts of places including refile
  2] speed up ido by an enormous amount

you might need to make sure you have the right version.

there is also something like ido-everywhere, but idk if it has the
speeding up feature or whether it does ido in the same places.

alternatively, you can try helm [old, huge, different usage] or ivy
[new, fast].  icicles is not as popular.

i think both helm and ivy have c-spc ability or the equivalent.

ivy is the most like ido of the popular non-ido.

===

i use ido with ido-hacks and ido-clever-match.  the last one sorts
choices beautifully.  i get annoyed with different sort orders.

i might switch to ivy in the future if it can provide the same sort
order as ido-clever-match.  it provides options, but not that one.

it has been said that flx is a nice sorting option and that ivy can
provide it, but it was too slow last time i tried it.  idk if ivy
speeds flx up.  idk if it is close enough to ido-clever-match for me.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.