[emacs-wiki-discuss] Dealing with large planner files

From: Brent Goodrick
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Dealing with large planner files
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:47:32 -0800

Hi,

I think I might have discovered a scaleability issue.   I have created a planner file, and when the planner file was small, it was working just fine with no sluggishness when typing in keystrokes.  But, as the file grew in size, I noticed keystroke responsiveness getting slower and slower as the size of the file increased.  When I hit C-c C-l, the sluggishness dissapears, but of course then hyperlinks are not shown.  I suspect that every key typed in goes through some scan on the file, and as the file gets larger, the scan takes longer?  So, the workaround is to keep hyperlinks off most of the time, and only turn hyperlinks back on when I need them.  However, is there something that can be done that would allow me to keep hyperlinks on permanently?

I am sitting on old versions of the Elisp fileset, so that could be the cause. Here are the relevant versions of the things that might affect this:

OS: Red Hat 8.0
Emacs: 21.3 compiled from Emacs_21.3 branch a while back
planner.el: v1.180; downloaded from Sachas web page Oct 25 2003
emacs-wiki.el: v2.40 downloaded from http://repose.cx/emacs/wiki/ on Jul 01 2003

Thanks,
Brent Goodrick