[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Confusing planner-diary docs

From: Thomas Gehrlein
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Confusing planner-diary docs
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:11:49 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> ;; 1) You can put the following line of lisp code in your day plan pages to
> ;;    display your diary entries:
> ;;
> ;;    <lisp>(planner-diary-entries-here)</lisp>
> ;;
> ;;    You can do this automatically for all day plan pages:
> ;;
> ;;    (setq planner-day-page-template
> ;;    "* Tasks\n\n\n* Diary\n\n<lisp>(planner-diary-entries-here)</lisp>\n\n*
> Notes")
> ;;
> ;;    When you open a day plan page outside emacs, you will see the line of
> lisp
> ;;    code and not your diary entries.
>
> Should the above read instead:
>
>   When you open a day plan page outside emacs, you will see your
>   diary entries, not the line of lisp code.

No.  Try it out.  planner evaluates code in lisp tags and displays the result.
If you put

<lisp>(+ 1 1)</lisp>

in a plan page, you will see "2".

> Why would I want to see a line of lisp code in my day plan page?

You wouldn't want to see it.  I provided a way to use "lisp" tags because
somebody might like them (or somebody asked for it, I don't remember).  But I
provided a second way to use planner with diary:

;; 2) If you want the saved files to contain your entries and not just a line
;;    of lisp, add the following lines to your .emacs: [...]

> And doesn't the first sentence state that that code *will* display my diary
> entries?

Yep.  The code will display your diary entries if your editor is smart enough
to understand the lisp tags.  AFAIK only Emacs with planner-mode loaded
understands the lisp tags, so in any other editor you will just see the plain
lisp code.

> Color me confused :)

Hope I could help you overcome your confusion.

Thomas