Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: cannot save all my planner files

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: cannot save all my planner files
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:37:28 +0200 (CEST)

| > After a first stab, it seems it is due to an encoding issue
| > (multibyte v unibyte I guess).  I'm using umlauts and accented
| > characters and for some reason the encoding on the two pages is
|
| Meep. I don't know how to go about setting up an environment for this.
| Could you tell me of a step-by-step way to reproduce your bug starting
| from -q?

It should work with Options->Mule->Select Input Method:
latin-1-prefix and Options->Mule->Set Language
Environment->European->Latin-1.  Then C-\ will toggle the input
method.  When it is switched on, hitting `"a' results in `รค' etc.
It should be sufficient to have one such character in a planner
entry (i.e. load planner and create a task) to cause the problems
(i.e. equality of tasks fails).  The buffer containing the
character is in latin-1 encoding.

(Not quite step by step - sorry.)

[...]

| It's defined here in CVS Emacs in files.el. The documentation for
| write-file-hooks says:

Oh you daredevil ;-)

| This variable is obsolete since 21.4; use `write-file-functions'
| instead.
|
| Figured it was safe to use it as long as I boundp... =)

IMO it's best you add this to the documentation.  Otherwise
people might set write-file-functions, and then have both
variables set, which can cause a rather confusing behaviour IMO.
(Of the kind "why doesn't this work?  I did put it in the hook!")

Cheers,

Frederik