Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Structured procrastination

From: Ray Fix
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Structured procrastination
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:27:53 -0400

Very entertaining! I think the main point is "just get started." Along these lines, I am reminded of another great article on procrastination by Joel Spolsky, entitled "Fire and Motion."

It's an entertaining read.

Now that I have been using planner a while. Let's see... 5 days now. ;-) I would like to suggest a different way of using the ABC priority scheme. (I am not a very big believer in the Franklin/Covey scheme and I am glad that planner is flexible enough to allow multiple ways of thinking about things.) Here is how I define my A B and Cs.

A   =  tasks with no dependencies
B = something I would like to do but have to do one or more A tasks first (at some point these are revised to A)
C   = a task that I might do someday maybe (backburner idea)

Notice that they have nothing to do with importance. As John Perry's essay points out, importance is mostly overrated. And if you put off an important task off, you just feel guilty about not doing it.

But how, you ask, do you prioritize your work? The answer, is that I only schedule MUST get dones on my daily page. Once it goes there, it's sacred ... it's got to get done... that day... or my world comes to an end. ;-) For that reason, I usually schedule only tasks that I have already accomplished and check them off immediately.

Currently I use that perl script ... the one I sent out to the list a couple of days ago ... to every so every so often scan through all of the projects and tasks at hand.

One of the great advantages of planner is its loosely structured nature. It seems to be just enough structure to keep me organized but not so much structure that all I am doing is organizing. After all, when all is said and done, it is in the doing that matters.

Ray Fix