[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:03:51 +0800

address@hidden (Andrew J. Korty) writes:

>> However, I'm curious what the advantage of a flat directory
>> structure is? It seems easier to deal with a nested structure then
>> to implement the ideas above.
> One advantage is that it makes it easier to change the hierarchy.
> With a tree-based file structure, you have to actually move files
> around.  With a flat structure and #parent, you just have to change
> the #parent directives and your tree automagically morphs to what you
> want.

I don't think the big win comes from moving, as it's one action either
way. I think it comes from simplicity. =) I guess I'm spoiled by
ido-mode; I can just type part of a filename and jump to the
corresponding file.

I think we'll be able to get nested structures if you really wanted
it, although that requires extensive patching. If unique names are
enforced, then referring to pages will be easier. Directory trees
would also make generating the index easier, and you could even
publish indices for subtrees... <muses>

Might be a good idea.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun