[emacs-wiki-discuss] projects; package interactions; planner-muse

From: chrisjohn
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] projects; package interactions; planner-muse
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:41:21 -1000

Hello!

I started using Planner and EmacsWiki mid-December 2003, and fell in
love with them - they are useful in so many ways, not least because when
used in certain ways they are *extremely* useful in the 'virtual
team'/'virtual project' environment.  Good work, everybody!

(I've had a quick look at vrtprj.com, btw - it is now in my
bookmarks. :) I have been interested in the subject for quite a while.)

I have recently started a website, and have included an excerpt from my
Planner there for people to see - it may also be handy in reference to
my questions below, since you can see how I've been using Planner,
et. al.
http://www.workinglinux.com/virtual_teams.html

However, I have been on hiatus from Planner since the end of February,
and have only recently started using it again - obviously, with a new
website, I can use some good authoring tools!

I now have two projects I want to use Planner for; I also wish to
maintain a wiki or two, and at least one Journal.

I have been scanning through the emacs-wiki-discuss archives to get a
sense for what has changed since early January - my last Planner code
update - and to see if there was an answer to my 'how to do many things'
questions.  I have also tried to do a few things, and even done a (very)
little exploratory hacking on this is.

FTR, I have spent a great deal of time since February learning
(non-Emacs) Lisp, and Guile Scheme, so I am not 'afraid' of elisp. ;) In
fact, I will most likely be doing all of my personal programming in lisp
or scheme henceforth - these are the best, most productive languages
I've used in 25 years of programming!  (What can I say?, I guess I'm a
late starter.)

I am willing to do what I can to help out with EmacsWiki and Planner,
although I can't say how much time I'll have available in the near
future - though this *will* be a priority, since I will be relying
heavily on these tools.  So if I come up with anything that seems
useful, I'll be more than happy to share.

I run Emacs 21.2.1 on Debian Woody, kernel 2.4.bf18 (local) and Emacs
21.3.1 on FreeBSD 4.9 (remote), and would really, really like to keep
Planner, etc. versions the same accross environments.  I also have GNU
Arch in both environments - I am really new to it, but it is rapidly
growing on me.

I have EmacsWiki, Planner (w/notes, diary and timeclock) and Journal
'current' as of the first week of January this year.  I somehow also
managed, way back in December, to hack Gary Vaughan's html calendar
widget into my daily planner pages.

Question 1: If I were to update all 3 packages to current stable
versions, what are the odds of my stuff continuing to work?

Question 2: Do any documents, messages, etc. exist concerning the
inter-dependencies between these packages?  Specifically, EmacsWiki and
Planner seem to use semi-separate project switching/project publishing
environments?

Question 3: Has Gary's 'hierarchical' stuff been integrated into Planner
and/or into EmacsWiki?

Question 4: What is the status of planner-muse?  I haven't looked at
Muse yet, but judging from the messages in the archive, planner-muse
would seem a high-value project, if Muse is to be shipped with the new
Emacs distros.  One doesn't often get a chance to re-do the same project
using what one has learned *and* a new, improved framework!

If anyone has read this far, thanks!

+Chris

--
The law is not so much carved in stone as it is written in water,
flowing in and out with the tide.