[emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: (Repost) Switching projects

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: (Repost) Switching projects
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:04:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 6:32 AM
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: (Repost) Switching projects

chris wrote:

>"Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> writes:
>The function certainly seems useful - does it have the net effect of
>changing projects?

Yes.

>But I thought projects involved a _set_ of different directories,
>potentially different markup, regexps, stylesheets, etc., etc. that
>co-operate to provide a distinct environment for a set of pages?  That
>is a requirement for what I would like to do with Planner, which
>otherwise is eminently, and to my knowledge, uniquely suitable for my
>purposes.

You're right.  My snippet changes only planner-directory.  You'd also
want to change planner-publishing-directory.  I'm not too concerned
with publishing at the moment, so I didn't consider it.  I was going
to add a way to change planner-publishing-directory after things
settled down for me a bit.  How about Friday, if no one else beats
me to it?  ;-)

>Maybe it is just my programming 'instincts', but when Sacha mentioned in
>an earlier post that an 'elegant way' of switching projects had yet to
>be found, it piqued my curiousity and my professional interest came to
>the surface.

I think the recent change I made to kill the planner buffers before
switching directories makes it less inelegant.  But still, why should
the solution be limited to merely two directories?

I really see this growing into something that, when invoked, will
prompt you for a planner and publishing directory pair from a list,
with a default choice available.  At that point, it works the way
find-file works, with tab completion and a *Completions* buffer.  It
should also be easy to set up.  I could attempt to write that, but I'm
afraid people will laugh!  :-)  And if my boss found out that I'm
wasting time writing Lisp code....

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>