[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode and Info

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode and Info
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:16:05 +0200

Just a suggestion, but could you get planner to auto-insinuate itself into the Info-directory-list?

<sheepish grin> Umm, how do I do that?

I'm not much of a lisp hacker, so i can only suggest something like:
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list (expand-file-name planner-root)

Also, is it possible, or going to be possible to do task trees?
e.g. something like:
#A1    _ Make some tea
- #B1   _ buy some tea bags
-- #C1    _ go to shops for tea bags
-- #c2    _ pick some biscuits up?
- #B2   _ boil water in kettle - here is (HowToBoilWater)

I have a note about hierarchical tasks somewhere on
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeMethods, I think. =)

Yeh i saw that

Using spaces for task nesting looks interesting. Hmmm. How would
hierarchical tasks work nicely?

I cannot say how it would work in the code, but having the tree auto-renumber, with the number re-starting at each new branch. Then you could reference it with a dot notation. e.g.

.#A1.B1 -- buy tea bags --
gotta go to this address for the proper tea..

What would you expect to be able to do?
I want to do a kind of tree-like functional de-composition of my tasks, though it would be nice to be able to reference them from notes, or the daily tasks page.

The concept being based around a 'mind map' idea where you have a central theme, as the central node, and you branch new node types for associated things. This can be represented as a tree, and so i can use it to categorize tasks. I suppose i could also use it to help categorize my wiki information, like a table of contents.

How would it work with day pages? (Maybe this is just a plan page
thing...)

I'm not sure to be honest. Using a reference link? say todays task is:
#(TaskPool#A1.B1) - which translates to

#B1   _ buy some tea bags (TaskPool#A1.B1)

I'm still a newbie with the planner, so my suggestion is borne out of wanting to mold planner to my way of thinking, rather than having it mold me into its... which may not be such a bad thing.

Tim.