Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?

From: Yvonne Thomson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:28:37 +1000

At Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:36:56 -0400,
pll+ew  wrote:

> The other problem is that I often link Notes to Tasks, and the Notes
> are cross-linked to a relevent Plan page.  Having a separate page for
> tasks (whether planned or unplanned) makes it difficult to keep track
> of notes, since now I have 3 locations where the note may show up:
> The (un)planned page, daily page, and plan page.
>
> I'm leaning more toward wanting to have the 'daily' and 'Long term'
> tasks section instead, since it seems more manual to do it the other
> way.  Hmmm, is there no good answer to this dilemma? :)
>
> Perhaps I should just manually place the tasks where I want them.
> That might be the best/easiest idea.  Another option is to maintain
> to 'Day Pages', but for some reason that sounds like it would cause
> more problems than it's worth :)

I know what you mean about keeping notes with tasks. It's the one thing I
find planner doesn't do well that I think it probably should. here's
something I'm experimenting with at the moment. It is very *very* alpha,
and I haven't worked with it much but still, it might give you some
ideas. I think I mentioned this before somewhere, but what I'm trying is
this. I assign a task to a page, always. When I'm working on that task,
I always mark it as in progress. Once I've done that, I've created a
thing called remember-log. I hit a hotkey and  a *Log* section gets
created on the plan page I've assigned the task to. Under that it
creates a section with the full task description for the task I'm
working on, and under that it creates a timestamp. Needless to say it
only does what's necessary every time you hit log. It looks something
like this.

* Log

** look at alternative webservers {{Tasks:232}}

.. 13:36

It seems to work well enough, but I'm having trouble with the cgi
stuff. It seems to be giving me weird errors.

[[file:///usr/share/doc/boa/boa.html][The Boa HTTP Daemon]]

.. 14:01

I have no idea why this won't work. I think I'll switch to thttpd
.. 14:24

Well thttpd seems to work well enough. the only truly weird thing is
that it takes file permissions *very* seriously.

In other words, don't mark a file as executable unless you really mean
it. It'll refuse to load it, telling you that it's exicutable but not
a CGI.

As I said, this is a massive hack. I haven't worked on it for ages and
I'm not even sure how helpful it'll be in the long run, since real life's
gotten in my way lately, <grin>.

This isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's similar. What it
sounds like would work for you would be something along the lines of
if you're on a task description, use remember to create a note with the
headline being the full task description either on the date page or, if
there is one, on the plan page associated with that task. Then come up
with a hotkey to jump between the note and the task. I could probably
hack together something quick and dirty that'd do this if you'd be
interested in trying it.

Or is all this completely irrelevant to your problem? If you could have
an ideal system, what would it look like?