[emacs-wiki-discuss] bug in planner-mhe.el design

From: pll+ew
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] bug in planner-mhe.el design
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:45:26 -0400

Hi,

It appears that planner-mhe uses the folder msg number, not the
Message-id to link to.  This is bad, because as an mh folder
gets compacted (due to deleting/moving msgs) the folder msg
number changes.

It appears there's a defun planner-mhe-get-message-num which calls
mh-get-msg-num.  Ny guess is that it perhaps mh-e lacks a defun which
returns the real Message-id: header value.

A brief survey of the mh-utils.el file seems to verify this.
However, it should be possible to obtain the Message-id: of a given
message faily easily, then search for that message-id within a folder.

The mh command line utility 'pick' provides a --component option,
which can be used like this:

 pick [+folder] --component <regex>

e.g:  pick +Inbox --Message-id 'address@hidden'

and will properly return the correct folder message number.  If that
folder msg number changes, the above pick command will always return
the currenly correct folder messgge number associated with that
Message-id.

I have no idea how to code the lisp to accomplish this, I'm hoping
someone else does :)

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE