Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Private tasks, notes, etc

From: TC
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Private tasks, notes, etc
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:07:02 -0600

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 18:50, Sacha Chua wrote:
> So what do people do to separate their private stuff from their public
> stuff? =)

I have four projects - two open to anyone, one open to a select few, and
one only for me.  I want those restrictions to act on the local source
files, and on the web view.

Sources for all, and publish directories are all kept in subdirectories
within my apache-readable ~/public_html directory.

I use unix permissions to control access of people who use the same
machine I do.  So my open-to-all wiki is, in unix terms, open to all.
The more restricted directories are rwxr-x---, owned by me, grouped to
apache. That does mean that from a source point of view the
open-to-a-select-few directories are overly-restricted, but I put up
with that.

Web permissions are via .htaccess files in each of the two restricted
projects; each file pointing to a different password file in my unix
homedir.  One passwd file closes off my private wiki to everyone except
me; the other contains name:passwd pairs for anyone I want to allow
access.

Wouldn't scale to large numbers of users, but it works for me.

tc