Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: RFC: verse tag markup and IE

From: Angus Lees
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: RFC: verse tag markup and IE
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:40:12 +1100

At Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:16:22 -0500, Michael Olson wrote:
> Are there any other browser versions released within the past 4
> years that don't support CSS1?

Being an emacs (and sometimes text console) user, I often use w3m-el
(and plain w3m outside emacs).  Even if it did honour CSS, a text
console certainly wouldn't be able to honour all of the attributes
present.

Regardless, we shouldn't be using something that *requires* CSS to
work - that goes against the entire goal of CSS and modern HTML.  The
structure described in the underlying HTML should be able to stand by
itself (even if its a little uglier).  If you want line breaks and
whitespace to be honoured, that means using <pre>.

> One of the things that frustrates me most about serving web
> documents is that the webserver overwrites MIME type and document
> encoding.  It makes no sense to me that the webserver's opinion
> should be preferred to the information in the document itself.

Its a simple bootstrapping problem - you can't look in the document if
you don't already know what format and encoding the document is in.

--
 - Gus