Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Complexity of computing w/ Emacs

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Complexity of computing w/ Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:58:27 +1000

Allen Halsey <address@hidden> writes:
> In a GUI world, I have a buttons on my task bar for the applications I am
> currently running:
>
>    - Thunderbird Mail Client,
>    - A Java IDE
>    - Mozilla Sunbird Calendar Application
>    - A couple of terminals
>    - An IRC client
>    - A text editor with multiple tabs for keeping notes and TODO lists.
>
> To read mail, I click the button on my task bar for Thunderbird. Likewise for
> the other apps.  Simple.
>
> Emacs can subsume the functionality of all these apps in a single
> instance. That's one button on task bar. But I hesitate to embark on this
> approach because I am absolutely terrified that I'll click that one button
> and drown in a sea of buffers.

Simple.  Move the window bar into emacs as well.

> I think maybe I just haven't learned the right tricks yet. Should I run each
> major app in separate frames? In separate instances? Is using an alernate
> Window Manager like RatPoison the answer?

Before I dropped X altogether I was using RP.  Now I live on the console, with
a screen window for each host.  Each host runs screen, within which there is
generally one window -- emacs.  Apart from switching between hosts, pretty much
everything is done in Emacs.

I often have a separate frame for Gnus (yes, you can have multiple Emacs frames
on the console), but I don't bother for w3m-el or planner or emacs-wiki --
usually it's only a keypress or two to get Emacs to DTRT.

--
Trent Buck, Student Errant