Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Complexity of computing w/ Emacs

From: Allen Halsey
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Complexity of computing w/ Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:19:21 -1000

Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips, Chris!

I've been wondering if there was a way to access recent files. I'll add recentf and tramp to my list of things to try.

From your response and from others, it seems it is common to have a single emacs frame, or at most two (a separate dedicated frame for gnus). And then just get efficient with the commands for switching buffers, perhaps with the aid of iswitchdb, ido, or ibuffer.

I guess one just must be diligent in seeking out and evaluating new ways to become efficient and adding them to your setup as you find keepers. It's a formidable task though. In some areas of functionality, say switching buffers, there is no clear consensus in the emacs community on what is the best way. So I feel I must evaluate each one. In this sense, the journey to becoming an effective emacs user requires that one must put oneself into the role of being a sophisticated software interaction designer, evaluating different competing approaches and writing your own customizations.

Allen