Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 03:30:33 +0200

On 10 Jul 2005, drkm stated:

> Xavier Maillard writes:
>
> > On 9 Jul 2005, Michael Olson uttered the following:
>
> > > Sounds interesting! Can you point me to some documentation
> > > concerning the form that the XML should have? I know the
> > > syntax of XML somewhat, but I don't know how an outputted
> > > XML document should "look" in this case.
>
> > Here is the problem :) Depending of what muse is used, the
> > XML may be different.
>
> > For example, if I write a "book" using Muse, I don't want the
> > XML to be the same as if I was writting a journal/blog entry.
>
> Hum, I don't think so. The base element of Muse is the page. So
> each Muse file will result in an XML document, whose the root
> is a PAGE (or all Muse file of a specific project will go in a
> unique document, with several page, or an ELisp function will
> select the pages to output, etc.).
>
> The following element (when going deeper) is something like a
> section (for example in Planner: tasks, schedule, notes, etc.).
> And so on. Planner can create its own elements (tasks can have
> a specific format in XML).
>
> Indeed, you will have different sets of XSLT scripts. For
> example, a set that interpret the pages as Blog entries. Or
> more as Wiki entries. Or as ... Muse projects can associates
> XSLT scripts with projects. And the XSLT transformation itself
> can easily be started by Muse, with the right arguments.

You are damn right drkm :) After having spoken with XML/XSLT
gurus all evening long, I think the best solution is to elaborate
a generic structure for Muse published document.

For the XSLT part, this is up to the user to choose. Muse can
provide a set of simple and default XSLT scripts as example but
this is not Muse role to do that. As an example, I'd rather have
something like Cocoon[1] to do this job for me.

It is a matter of taste though but I want to be able to choose
whether I want Muse to "finalize" my documents or not (so Muse
should offer the option to do so or not).

**Footnotes**
[1] http://cocoon.apache.org
--
GNUSFR.ORG                       http://gnusfr.org/