Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached

From: A.J. Rossini
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Muse-wiki milestone reached
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:23:30 +0200

On 7/15/05, drkm <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (Björn Lindström) writes:
>
> > drkm <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> And if you know XSLT, IMHO, using some Muse XML language can be the
> >> most powerfull way of customizing the Muse output, because that XML is
> >> the nearest of Muse itself (and it's not, for example, a translation
> >> in DocBook).
>
> > Some of us are quite happy customising the output in Elisp. I don't want
> > to learn XML more than I absolutely have to.
>
>   Yes, and I'm one of them.  But maybe I wasn't clear enough
> (BTW, sorry for my poor, poor English).  What I mean is that Muse
> output can be customized in a lot of ways.
>
>   People who know ELisp use it.  And it's a Good Thing.  People
> that know HTML and CSS can customize the output at this level.
> People that know DocBook use the DocBook output.  A lot of people
> know XML, and it could be a Good Thing if they can use a XML
> output for Muse.
>
>   I know (a few) about ELisp, XML, XSLT, HTML and CSS.  And I
> guess a publishing process like:
>
>     Muse files + ELisp -> MuseXML
>     MuseXML + XSLT (+ PHP + JavaScript + ...) -> XHTML
>     XHTML + CSS (+ ELisp + Shell scripts + CL + Python + ...) -> final output
>
> could be very powerfull.  To tranform data like the Muse data,
> XSLT can be very interesting, IMHO.

I agree in theory -- but in practice, you need some means to have as
dense a markup for context as possible, which is difficult.

For planner, it's not too hard to imagine (start with ical/vcal and
xml'ized versions), but for general output (I have grand plans for
muse) I'd like to have means to simplify the output.

That's the catch, isn't it -- simply extensible markup, which we can
edit simply but describes and transforms into complex documents.  And
I'm using the word "documents" extremely loosely.

best,
-tony

"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

A.J. Rossini
address@hidden