Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Plans for next week

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Plans for next week
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:14:39 -0500

Peter K.Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> Have thought about it, and ruled it out previously when I realized
> that most of my changesets would be cluttered with 'catch-up' merges
> from your tree.

There are indeed quite a few catch-up merges when you're not the
maintainer of a project, but it's worth the trouble when you have
non-trivial changes in mind.  One additional benefit of having several
archives by different contributors that merge from one another is that
it's more fail-safe.  If the contributor who is currently designated
as "maintainer" disappears off the face of the earth, improvements
still continue to be made in a form that's easy for users can
subscribe to.

> Should I assume that you will check on my tree for changes from time
> to time and just apply fixes/etc. as I have done in the past to this
> tree?  Or should I continue to send planner specific fixes as a
> patch as I've done previously?

I use the Xtla's tla-bookmarks window to check for changes to the
archives of contributors.  All I have to do is mark you as a partner,
type M m on my archive, move to the latest change from you, and hit
`s' to star-merge.  It's quite handy :^) .  Though of course I won't
be doing this during vacation due to lack of internet.

If a fix could be applicable to mainstream Planner, it might be good
to send it to the list so that Sacha can apply it.  I do that once in
a while, though it can be exhausting sometimes to keep up with
multiple trees.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp