Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Importance of taskid in Planner multi-page task

From: Chris Leyon
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Importance of taskid in Planner multi-page task maintenance
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:23:59 -0500

On 1/21/06, Tom Burbage <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to reliably manage
> "plans" across multiple sites. I have
> emacs/muse/planner setups at home and at work, and
> sometimes also work at home via VPN. Basically, I'm
> just transporting stuff back and forth physically
> using a USB flash stick.

(Veering off topic, sorry...)  I use and recommend Unison, a file
synchronizer (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/).  It works
great and has both a text mode and a nice graphical mode (optional).
It synchronizes files in both directions.  If there is a conflict, it
can be configured to use Emacs to "emerge" both files--sweet!  I use
it for many `standard' files such as .emacs, .profile, etc.

There are many ways to set it up, but one way that works for me is to
keep the real files in one subtree ($HOME/uni/) and create symlinks
from other places to the files under $HOME/uni.  (One gotcha: if your
~/.emacs is a symlink, then M-x customize will not keep the symlink:
it creates a normal file and you have to move it back into the ~/uni/
hierarchy and recreate the symlink.)

Chris Leyon