RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Using gnus somewhat painful?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Using gnus somewhat painful?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:54:16 -0000

Jim Crossley wrote:
> You're not alone.  I've been using Gnus for years, and for me only the
> most recent update (to 5.10.7) has resulted in this...
>

> All due respect, but you're kinda swimming upstream with this one.  I
> wouldn't try to use Gnus as an IMAP mirroring system.  Would a POP
> backend make more sense as a means to "just download all my messages
> and be done with it"?

For many years, I used gnus with POP and the unison file sync to keep
different machines working together. This works quite well, although
you have to be careful about the syncing; nnml can't cope with
modifications to both sides; I've thought about trying the new nnmaildir
backend which claims that it can.

This worked well for me. At least until I moved jobs and have now been
forced
onto an Exchange server with no IMAP.

Trust me, what ever hassles you are suffering from with Gnus, it could
be worse; it could be outlook.

Phil