Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Interaction of org-mode and Muse

From: Patrick Hawkins
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Interaction of org-mode and Muse
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:51:56 -0400

On 4/27/06, Michael Olson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't understand why this is an issue.  If someone wants to preserve
> compatibility with Markdown in their document, all they have to do is
> use only Markdown-specific markup.  If there is a concern that someone
> might unknowingly use Muse-specific markup, would it be sufficient to
> just throw an optional warning message at them?

Probably. I said my reservations were not-so-serious. It just seems to
me that Muse is supposed to be write-once-publish-everywhere, and
Markdown would dilute those capabilities a bit for those who wish to
stick to Markdown-specific markup. There are likely some good debates
to be had on whether the benefits of introducing people to Muse
through Markdown outweigh the (admittedly minor) downsides of
integrating Markdown-markup. I guess I just want people to come to
Muse because Muse rocks, not because it is Markdown-compliant. I can
be a bit of a purist sometimes.

Speaking of being a purist, I woke up this morning realizing that if
Muse is going to be in Emacs 22, we should probably have Atom 1.0
output as well as RSS 2.0. There have been some problems with RSS, and
Atom (http://www.atomenabled.org/) is now minutes away from becoming a
standard.

- Patrick