Re: [emms-help] Re: To list or not to list

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Re: To list or not to list
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:45:56 +0300

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin Katzenell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> When you have a lot of entries in your playlist, killing
>>> and yanking tracks in the PBI gets really, really slow.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I'm curious to know, how big is big? I'm all for allowing
>> arbitrary sized playlists but I'm wondering if we are
>> talking about a practical size.
>
> I've got, oh, a couple thousand entries.  How large are
> your playlists, and do you experience the slowness?

Ah, On the rare occasions that I use PBI I have maybe 2 CDs worth of
tracks. No wonder the discrepancy.

>> If we are, then it definitely needs to be fixed.
>> Otherwise we might find ourselves refactoring a lot of
>> code for a very small demographic.
>
> I'd say three thousand entries is pretty much a moderate
> playlist size in this day and age.

Wow, I had no idea that playlist ever got that large. Sounds like a
usage model in which the playlist is the central repository. I tend to
keep everything on the disk and only load into Emms what I want to hear
at the time.

Still, I see no harm in getting an O(1) PBI into Emms!