Re: [emms-help] EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: [emms-help] EMMS - mpd, browse and random album play
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:19:16 +0200

address@hidden (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>    What would be a good place to start to implement such a
>    browser?

You can implement a source for such a system. I.e. implement a
browser like you want, and create an emms-source to retrieve such
information. EMMS can interact with dired in a very similar
fashion.

>  * When I haven't chosen something to play myself, I would like
>    "random album play". That is, when the playlist becomes empty, I
>    would like EMMS to select an album by random and play it.
>
>    Pseudo-something like this:
>
>      (defun asjo-play-random-album ()
>        "Select a random album and play it"
>        (let ((album (select-random-from-list (emms-list-all-albums))))
>          (emms-playlist-add-album album)
>          (emms-start)))

EMMS doesn't know about albums. Or artists. Or, actually, anything
but "tracks". You'd have to create a list of all tracks yourself
somehow, and then walk that list to sort them by album. EMMS
doesn't assume all tracks are in albums. EMMS doesn't assume
anything about tracks, actually. :-)

>    Does this sound possible/easy?

Possible? Yes. Easy? No. :-]

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))