[emms-help] emms-volume.el and volume.el (was: MusicPD backend news)

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emms-help] emms-volume.el and volume.el (was: MusicPD backend news)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:36:29 -0400

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Lucas Bonnet <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Argue with Aiviru about the name, and send patches :-)
>>
>> So, we'll have 2 implementations, or one merge ?
>
> Unless there are some good reasons for two separate
> implementations, I think I'd prefer a single volume control thingy
> in EMMS. Of course, if the two follow completely different
> philosophies, we'll have to have two of them...

How about making an option like the following?

(defcustom emms-volume-show-volume nil
  "*This indicates how the current volume should be displayed when
entering the Emms Volume minor mode."
  :type '(choice (const :tag "Do not display" nil)
                 (const :tag "Graphically" 'graph)
                 (const :tag "Numerically" 'number))
  :group 'emms-volume)

Where by "numerically", I mean putting something like "NN/NNN" on the
display.  Or if the maximum volume value cannot be determined, just
show the current volume.  This would be useful because some people
(self included) prefer a numerical display to a graph -- it's
analogous to disabling scroll bars and relying on the percent display
on the Emacs mode line.

The "graphical" option would be the relevant display code merged from
volume.el.

If people wanted the Emms Volume minor mode to persist (as in
volume.el) instead of going away after a timeout, perhaps setting
emms-volume-mode-timeout to nil (and making that variable a
customizable option) could be made to accomplish this.  The code from
the function `volume' in `volume.el' would probably be useful for that
particular case.

That said, I'm perfectly content with emms-volume.el as it is for my
own usage patterns, and don't feel a driving need to implement this.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net