Re: [emms-help] Emms and mpd

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Emms and mpd
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:36:55 +0100

AvataR <address@hidden> writes:
> I just get latest emms update
> (903e2484fa658eef9b4dc8bbd0bf4958f7233242), and mixing files for several
> players now complitely broken, if basic player is mpd.
>
> I.e. i have players mpd and mplayer. I add to playlist mp3 files. All
> ok. Then I add video to playlist. Now emms broken - I couldn't play mp3,
> and couldn't play video.

EMMS asks mpd which file types it supports and delegates all those files
to it. When mpd is compiled with ffmpeg support, this will also include
video files like avi, mkv, mov, etc. You can see the list of supported
files by calling

mpd --status

However, since mpd is not a video player, it will only play the sound of
those files.

My guess what happens on your system is that the video files you added
are not under the music directory, defined by
emms-player-mpd-music-directory and in your mpd.conf. You will then get
an error from mpd, saying that it could not find the video file.

The reason this worked for you before is that the parsing of the output
of 'mpd --status' was broken for newer versions of mpd, which is now
corrected. You can revert to the old behavior by using

(setq emms-player-mpd-supported-regexp
   (concat "\\`http://\\|"
              (emms-player-simple-regexp
               "m3u" "ogg" "flac" "mp3" "wav" "mod" "au" "aiff")))

Since mpd can only play sound of video files, I agree that the current
behavior is not very useful. I could think of two ways to circumvent
this problem:

* We could add another variable like
  `emms-player-mpd-ignored-formats-regexp', which includes the usual
  video extensions by default. emms-player-mpd would ignore all files
  which match this regexp, so that they get delegated to the next
  player.

* We could ignore all files which are not under the music directory
  emms-player-mpd-music-directory. This would still mean that video
  files which are under this directory would still be handled by mpd.

What do y'all think?

Regards,
David