[emms-help] Summary (was: last.fm scrobbling broken?)

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: [emms-help] Summary (was: last.fm scrobbling broken?)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:04:44 +0300

Jim's questions made me research this issue a bit further and here is
what I've found:

* All free software projects come across the problem of secret-keys
  vs. GPL'd code. Although every one I've looked at stop short of the
  explanation and solution we've put in the Emms manual. For example:

  This is good since it makes me feel less like we're over-scrupulous
  with licensing.

* The Last.fm application landscape isn't homogeneous. Some applications
  use the old API and some the new. Moreover, people write in to last.fm
  and negotiate specific terms.

* Applications using the old API will eventually stop working (Emms uses
  the new API). See:
  http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/637914/_/13075116

* My Last.fm musical compatibility with Jim is "Super".

Where do we go from here?

* I'll be in the U.S. in about two weeks and I'll test my paid account
from within the U.S.

* I'll add local track scrobbling to emms-lastfm-client ASAP (for
  certain values of ASAP).