Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 15:40:10 -1000

> It sounds somewhat peculiar to me that you have to configure a separate
> card for amixer but not for the player.  Which EMMS player are you
> using?  Do you have PulseAudio or some other sound server running?

If it sounds peculiar to you think how I felt when I found this out!
It is strange. I am using VLC and PulseAudio. At the time, I got a new
Asus Zenbook and just transferred over my old Emacs stuff. Playing
music with EMMS was fine but the volume control didn't work and I had
to externally (outside Emacs) change volume. Then I traced through and
found that my master card was 1, not 0.

> (I don't object using the -c parameter with amixer: if it works for you
> then it's fine, of course.  But I would like to understand what is
> causing the issue.)

Fair enough, and of course you don't have to use -c if card 0 is your master.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.