Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 20:30:54 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow, it's more like 2 tracks per second here on my machine :(
> Am I doing something wrong?

Probably not.  My "estimate" was really just a guess.

> Is there any drawback in using MPD?  I actually wonder if MPD shouldn't
> be the natural backend for EMMS.  Re-implementing caching and metadata
> extraction seems like re-inventing the wheel.

No.  I have used MPD on some machines, it works well.  But the version I
ran did not recognize albumartist etc.  Recent versions do, however.

I wouldn't dare to call any backend "natural", as I would expect users
to have wildly different setups.  They are emacs users, after all...
Also, MPD takes more effort to set up properly.

Petteri