Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 13:53:23 +0300

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Petteri Hintsanen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I use this
>>
>> (defun ph-emms-browser-get-track-field (track type)
>
> I've added and adapted version of the function to Emms and made it the
> default.

This is ok, except that it will display 'info-albumartistsort and
'info-artistsort in the browser lists.  These may seem unnatural to some
users.  Eg. "The Prodigy" will be displayed in the artist list as
"Prodigy, The".  It would be good to at least mention this in the
manual.

A correct implementation would collate by 'info-albumartistsort (or
'info-artistsort) and display 'info-albumartist.  For example Rhythmbox,
or whatever it is called nowadays, does that.  I've been trying to
implement the same feature into the browser, but it's more difficult
than one might think.  But OTOH I'm fairly novice with elisp, and
someone more familiar with the browser's internals might succeed
quickly.

regards,
Petteri