Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 18:22:59 -0400

Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:55:56 -0400
> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I also think the code needs to move to the emms-player-... namespace.
>
> Yeah, I was kinda afraid of that.
>
> Not hard to change, but that'd make all the names so horribly long,
> hurting readability, unless there some way to filter all that noise out
> (and fit more than one such name on a line).
>
> Is there no other convention to maybe use much shorter reasonably-unique
> prefix instead of much longer one?

None that I can think of, unless we move to emms-plr-... or something,
which isn't a huge improvement; I think that players should have their
own namespace.

I've always kind of visually "tuned out" the long names. I guess I could
also write up some code to abbreviate the display of these names on the
Emacs-level.

What do other people think of this?

>> Using the file method it doesn't detect the player ending and
>> therefore doesn't move on to the next track. This had worked before,
>> so I'm unsure of what changed.
>
> Will look into that.
>
> Didn't think any of late changes should've affected 'file, so only ran
> basic play-stop-next routine, which guess was a mistake, and should
> probably be automated anyway.

That is exactly why we throw stuff into master; we can't fix it until we
know it's broken (people who want stability now have the mpv-enable 5.0
release.)