enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug?!?

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug?!?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:48:11 +0100

Hi Lukas,

> In my newest level, I've found something strange, I think it's a bug. The
> level is 20*13, so you can see all on the image. There are two opened oxyds
> of different colors! I think it happened because I hit the second oxyd just
> when the other one moved (see the rotators and the swap-stones). Is it a bug?

Yes, I think it is a bug.  Oxyd stones in general may behave oddly when
they are used in combination with swap stones, like you do in your
level.  In general all animated stones may not work too well with the
swap stone, with the effects ranging from animations being jerky to the
object behavior being incorrect.

The problem is that the most object synchronize their internal timing to
the duration of animations being played.  But when you remove an
animated object from the landscape and reinsert it somewhere else, the
animation's state is lost and the object's state consequently gets out
of sync.

Trying to fix this bug may be a great way to learn a few things about
the internal working of Enigma...  Hint: try to modify on_creation(),
on_removal() and the destructor of the Stone class. :-)  We should
probably hurry and try to plug this hole before Jacob even thinks about
abusing it in one of his next levels ;-)

- Daniel