enigma-devel

[Enigma-devel] enigma on Android

From: Busser Alain
Subject: [Enigma-devel] enigma on Android
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 18:12:20 +0400

Hi everybody,

I plan to create serious games for tablets to teach some of maths. An example
is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10996692/englishFractions.html

As my pupils are not wealthy enough to by an iPad, I bought an Android device
(the cheapest model). I thought it was a good idea to test my productions on
such a device...

Then I thought it would be a good idea to test some other serious games,
including Enigma of course ;-) Alas, Google Play don't work on Reunion Island
because the IPs are too special... So I can't install many apps which are
published only on Google Apps. Including Enigma of course :-(

But the other day, I was looking for the apk file (that's my usual way of
installing an app because I can't go to Google Play) for "know abacus" and I
found this beautiful app on an alternative market called "mobile1". The process
rooted my Android tablet and then installed an app called "mobile1", which
allows me to go to this market, where, amongst many apk files, I found Enigma
1.0. the apk file is about 6MB heavy, and it works!!!

During all the time when I only dreamt of playing to enigma (or make my pupils
play ;-)) I had to imagine how it could work without a mouse, and if it was
possible (and interesting) to use the accelerometer. My questions found their
answer: In any enigma level, the accelerometer is used instead of the mouse.
This a strange sensation, playing only with the orientation of the tablet (I
would say, more physical than with a computer, but also harder, especially for
some of the meditation levels, and for the levels with water). Compared to more
classic games like 2048, I find this use of the accelerometer revolutional. We
are definitely in the XXI century now!

It would be good if someone who has an iPhone or iPad tested enigma on it, if
possible. And the apk file should be easy to download for those who, like me,
have no access to Google Play: Why not on enigma's web site?

Alain