erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] ERC needs a new maintainer

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] ERC needs a new maintainer
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 07:37:44 -0700

The role basically requires:

 - Making releases

 - Rotating ChangeLog at the start of every year

 - Keeping the version of ERC in Emacs in sync with our git repo (we
release from the git repo) using the "emacs23" git branch

    - First, checkout latest Emacs

    - cd ~/path/to/emacs ; git --git-dir="~/path/to/erc/from/git" add
. ; git --git-dir="[same]" add -u . ; git --git-dir="[same]" git
commit ; cd ~/path/to/erc/from/git ; git reset --hard

    - Then split the massive change from Emacs into separate distinct
logical changes, making note of which changes might be useful for ERC
upstream

    - Take only the useful changes into master, using cherry-picking

 - Making sure that new contributors have assigned changes to the FSF
(you can either email the FSF each time you're uncertain, or request
shell access to the machine which has the master list)

 - Commenting on patches and accepting them once they're in working
order and determined to be useful