espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Python interface compatibility across Espresso versions

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Python interface compatibility across Espresso versions
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 10:34:44 +0100

Dear ESPResSo users and developers:

In preparation for the upcoming release of ESPResSo 4.0, we set out guidelines
for the compatibility of the Python interface across ESPResSo versions. Please
find these below.

Regards, Rudolf

Intended interface compatibility between ESPResSo versions
We use the following versioning scheme:
major.minor.patch_level

With regards to the stability of the Python interface, we plan the following
guidelines:

  * patch_level: The Python interface will not change, if only the patch_level
number is different. Example: 4.0.0 -> 4.0.1.

  * minor: There will be no silent interface changes between to versions with
different minor numbers. I.e., a simulation script will not silently produce
different results with the new version. The interface can, however, be
extended. In important cases, the interface can change in such a way that using
the old interface produces a clear error message and the simulation is
terminated. Example: 4.0.1 -> 4.1.0

  * major: No guarantees are made for a transition between major versions.
Example 4.1.2 -> 5.0.

  * No guarantees are made with regards to the development branch on GitHub.

  * No guarantees are made with respect to the C++ bindings in the simulation
core.

--
Dr. Rudolf Weeber
Institute for Computational Physics