RE: [ESPResSo] Diffusion of a probe particle

From: Limbach, Hans Joerg, LAUSANNE, NRC-FS
Subject: RE: [ESPResSo] Diffusion of a probe particle
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:17:19 +0200

I guess the best choice is to set max_num_cells to roughly the number of
particles (balance running through cells and running through particles, I even
think Bernward wrote a command to optimize this) and set a dummy interaction
with 0 interaction range and skin to (box/(n_part)^1/3)=size of the cells. This
makes roughly one particle per box and a maximally large skin which reduces the
number of times Espresso tries to setup new verlet lists (which of course will
be empty all the time). This should be rather fast.

> Furthermore, making the box size very large will not work any
> more as soon as obstacles of a certain density are
> introduced. Either it is necessary to create lots of replicas
> of the obstacles, or I have to make the box relatively small
> - both methods would make the simulation slow again. Does
> anyone have an idea how to handle this?
>
> Using a large box length, I have also tried to disable the
> Verlet lists.
I guess then Espresso does try to find interaction partners at every step (Also
maximale Entschleunigung, sozusagen die Berner Variante ;-))
> - From my understanding, this should speed up the simulation,
> as no Verlet list update would ever be required and the size
> of the default cell lists should be small enough not to
> contain any neighboring particles.
> However, this did not seem to be the case. Instead, the
> simulation was significantly slower (factor 3 or so). Can
> anybody explain this to me?
See above

Greetings,
Hanjo