Re: [ESPResSo-users] Memory and compute requirements for LB GPU

From: Vincent Ustach
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Memory and compute requirements for LB GPU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 10:17:32 -0700

Thanks Dominic,

For now I am just looking for some guidelines. I appreciate the help.

Best,

Vincent

--Vincent Ustach
  University of California, Davis

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Dominic Roehm <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Vincent,

since the LB grid is 3D the memory consumption increases with the power
of 3. A disadvantage of the current implementation is that is has to use
double buffering, which means that the entire grid has to be stored
twice, besides some other things like the forces and particle data....
(but the memory consumption due to the particles is negligible compared
to the LB mesh). With the 3 GB VRAM of your M2050 you figured out
225**3. Due to the cubic scaling you would end up with a 283**3 mesh
(grid space 1) on a GPU with 6GB and 357**3 with 12 GB. I don't know
what grid size or resolution you have in mind, but if want to use large
grids you need to use a cluster and the CPU code. Basically, a multi-gpu
implementation should be available in a few months, but since the code
got a lot of more features like Shan-Chen model and Electrokinetics it
takes some time.

Dominic

--
   Dominic Roehm