Re: [ESPResSo-users] LANGEVIN_PER_PARTICLE

From: Marcello Sega
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] LANGEVIN_PER_PARTICLE
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 09:27:15 +0200

Hi guys!

For the record: it does indeed make sense to have different frictions.
Think about a simple electrolyte. Anions and cations have different
effective friction coefficients because of two effects, namely 1) the
Stokes friction itself (ions and cations have different sizes) and 2)
the different way they interact with water. This translates to
different specific conductivities of the two type of ions, and in a
coarse-grained simulation setting a separate friction coefficient is a
straightforward way to model this (combined with using different
particle masses).

M.

--
Institut für Computergestützte Biologische Chemie
University of Vienna