Re: [ESPResSo-users] Naming conflict ESPResSo/++

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Naming conflict ESPResSo/++
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 22:14:48 +0200

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 07:39:12PM +0200, Olaf Lenz wrote:
> The original ESPResSo package now also starts to have a Python
> interface. Obviously, ESPReSo would also like to call its Python
> package "espresso", so that you can "import espresso".
> Unfortunately, ESPResSo++ already uses that package name. If both
> packages would use the same name, it would become pretty hard to
> install both on a machine.
> Clearly, ESPResSo++ was the first to use the name in the Python world.
> On the other hand, if ES++ would use the packages name "espresso" and
> ES some other name, there might be ample chance to confuse them.
> Are there any constructive ideas?
> An idea from my side would be to use the name "pypresso" for the
> original ES.

Another idea could be to take the often used names:
- espressomd for the original ESPResSo (from the web URL)
- espressopp for ESPResSo++ (from the repo name)

Advantage: easier for google searches! espresso is too common, and not only with
researchers :-)

Pierre de Buyl
KU Leuven - Polymer Chemistry and Materials
T +32 16 327355
W http://pdebuyl.be/