Re: [ESPResSo-users] Object in Fluid

From: Ivan Cimrak
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Object in Fluid
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:55:50 +0200

Dear Markus,

The error message you have obtained indeed means that the bond of the
object tears apart. The reason for this is that you have too strong
soft_sphere potential. Your forces due to f_body are approximately
0.00156.

On the other hand, soft_sphere potential is given by V(r)=a/(r^n), the
forces due to soft_sphere are thus F(r)=dV/dr=a*n/(r^{n+1}).
Now your soft_sphere potential starts to act at the distance 0.1 from
the obstacle (your cut-off was 0.1) but this means that the particles
immediately get the force of
1.0*1.2/(0.1^2.2) = 190.18  which is way too large. The system gets
shock and then it blows apart.

I would suggest to set soft_sphere much lower, say e.g. a = 0.0005 (or
even smaller). This results to force 0.0005*1.2/(0.1^2.2)=0.095 which
is acceptable. I have tried this setting with smaller channel (for
faster computations) and it worked.

Best regards,

Ivan

--