Re: [ESPResSo-users] Object in Fluid

From: Wink, Markus
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Object in Fluid
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:03:52 +0000

Dear Ivan,

I have checked the different configurations for a_grid (as you proposed in your
last Email). If I change a_grid to 1, everything works just fine: the particle
follows the stream lines of the fluid and passes the obstacle without any
problems. But when I ran the original script I sent on July 15, I again get the
error message (in both simulations the soft-sphere potential was chosen to have
a factor a=0.001):
        broken: particles sum 2, id 0, partn 2, bond 2346
Afterwards, the no more integration steps are performed, although Espresso is
still running (checked it using the top-command on the console). This I find
very strange. The end configuration (when the error message occurs) you can
find attached.

Another thing that bothers me concerns parallel computing using mpirun. I found
out, that, depending on the box size I chose, it is possible, that Espresso
escapes with the following error message:
        background_errors 0 {097 Lattice spacing agrid=1.000000 is incompatible
with local_box_l[0]=5.500000 (box_l[0]=22.000000 node_grid[0]=4) 0.500000} 1
<consent> 31 <consent>

The error message occurs with the following box size and the command "mpirun -n
32" (my system provides 32 nodes I can run Espresso on):
        set width 20.
        set length 50.
        set height 27.
        # rectangular channel box geometry
        set boxX [expr $width+2]
        set boxY $length
        set boxZ [expr $height+2]
        setmd box_l $boxX $boxY $boxZ

If I run the simulation on only one node, I don't get that error message. So
parallel computing discretizes the grid in some way (which I don't understand
yet) and the a_grid (I chose agrid = 1) does not fit the node_grid. So I tried
to have a look in the source code to find out, where "node_grid" is defined and
to check, whether I can change it, but unfortunately I could not find it.
Does anyone have a clue and can help me out?

Greetings

Markus