[ESPResSo-users] Soft sphere interaction

From: Aleksei Kabedev
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Soft sphere interaction
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:39:23 +0000

Dear all,

I have a question about soft spheres interaction. I tried to use one to get a potential of interactions, corresponding to linear growth of forces while the distance goes to zero (to avoid overlapping on small distances, for LJ I initially had sigma=0.3 and sigma =0.6)
So I took a formula for potential
U(r)=169.37*(r-0.65)^2, which corresponds to the 2nd virial coefficient I'm trying to reproduce, and chose the parameters for SS Potential
a = 169.37, r_off = 0.65 and finally n = -2.
Probably the last parameter cannot be chosen like that(negative), because I got energy of interaction exactly the same as I expected, but the forces are equal to zero in the whole range of distances. I had a look at the code, but didn't find what the issue can be related with. By the way, there is another problem with potential - it is being cut on 0.9 in case of r_off=0.65. If r_off=0.4, the cut is on 0.65. I don't really understand where this shift of 0.25 comes from.

Apart from that, could you please tell me if I can use both dpd_interactions between particular types of particles in combination with Lattice-Boltzmann Method?
Thanks in advance!

--

Kind regards,
Aleksei Kabedev