[ESPResSo-users] Mac OS - segmentation fault and other strange error

From: Paul Peterson
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Mac OS - segmentation fault and other strange error
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 17:21:05 +0100

Hello everybody,

I know this is not really an Espresso question (i.e. one related to its scientific use) but I'm confident you may be of help.

I managed to compile Espresso on a Mac (El Capitan) and:

1) I got a segmentation fault:11 which I'd never gotten on the (far less performing) Linux machine I'd installed Espresso on in the first place. Since I've read that indicates a stack overflow, I checked my stack size with ulimit. Result: unlimited.

2) Then, I just reduced the size of the problem - it used to handle 40-monomer polymer, I set the length to 20. That did the trick... with the stack. The simulation went past the previous blocking point, and it was running visibly faster than under my poor Linux laptop. But immediately afterwards, I got a 'bond broken' error I didn't get when running the same (exactly the same) script on the other machine.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul